Saturday 24 September 2016

Class of 2016 - Week 1

Having seen all the "first steps' videos I was very excited to see the first 2 shows this weekend and despite working on Friday evening and watching the show later on I was thrilled with the first weekend of sparkles. I was lulled into a false sense of security when I thought that the BBC had decided to no longer make us suffer the excruciatingly painful VT's but that soon changed on Ore and Joanne's VT where we had to endure them dancing in a restaurant! I am sure they would much rather spend more time in the dance studio than filming these pieces of nonsense.

SHOW 1 - Friday 23rd September

Laura & Giovanni - Cha Cha Cha

Venus themed Cha Cha Cha with a long white fringed dress for Laura and 2 random gold leaves on a headband in Giovanni's hair. Fringed fabric always makes me nervous, the potential for a malfunction is heightened with those pesky fringes!! Long limbed Laura did a good job and opening the show is never easy. Not enough pressure on the floor, hip action quite lacking and those long legs need straightening however a good effort for Week 1 and a nice routine from Giovanni.

Judge Julie says - 6

Naga & Pasha - Waltz

Waltzing to Whitney ticks all the boxes for me and Naga had the dress of the weekend and looked beautiful. I was so impressed with the routine Pasha created for Naga, it had plenty of Waltz basics in there and represented something you would see at a dance competition. As a total non dancer she did really well at being elegant but there was a little faux pas in the middle before the double reverse spins and the nerves were quite apparent. This girl has potential as a ballroom dancer.

Judge Julie says - 6

Judge Rinder & Oksana - Cha Cha Cha

WOW - I'm not sure what he ate for breakfast, maybe 3 Shredded Wheat, but I would love some of his energy. He has natural rhythm and great hip action but he needs to careful not to let his facial expressions get too out of hand. I think I watched the whole routine with my mouth open! Clearly an audience pleaser and I loved his glittery gavel action at the beginning. This guy can dance but I hope it doesn't get too "panto". 

Judge Julie says - 6

Lesley & Anton - Waltz

Quite a big height difference for these two which can be hard in ballroom (I know from experience) and as predicted she spent a lot of the time looking into his chest. I think Anton pitched this routine just right and there was plenty of Waltz basic in there with Lesley coping well with Double Reverse Spins, although the Whisk and Chassis were a little skippy. Nice little routine and better than I expected.

Judge Julie says - 5

Ore & Joanne - Tango

The first Tango of the series but to some very upbeat music not particularly Tango-friendly. I understand why Len had a go about the faffing around at the beginning but with the constraints of the "jolly" music they were given they did their best to make it into a Tango. He danced the Tango steps very very well. He has great musicality and confidence in his performance and created some great lines and I definitely saw some heel leads in there. Ore is my contender for the final.

Judge Julie says - 7

Greg & Natalie - Jive

Greg and Natalie are my Strictly Sweepstake couple so I was eager to see what they came up with. The first Jive of the series and Greg is clearly a very tall man, something that often hampers the Jive dancer. Having seen Natalie dancing with her professional partner Ian Waite recently I know she uses this music with her Jive with Ian, this spoke volumes to me that she has faith in Greg. I was expecting Greg to be a bit clumpy and as a sportsman they often struggle with the acting side of it, something I thought Greg coped really well with! He needs to work on his free arm but a great ending to the show and I look forward to seeing his ballroom.

Judge Julie says - 6

SHOW 2 - Saturday 24th September

Louise & Kevin - Jive

We ended with a Jive last night and started with another. At first I thought Louise had come dressed as little orphan Annie from the musical. Kevin choreographed a great routine which matched the music perfectly and she was like a little firecracker with great spins and a very animated face in an action packed routine. Clearly a contender for Kevin's 4th final? Great opening routine

Judge Julie says - 8

Melvin & Janette - Cha Cha Cha

I was slightly distracted by Melvin's neon pink trousers but they did not distract enough from his stiffness. Clearly a lack of hip action and zero pressure on the floor but I cannot help liking the guy. Was the sombrero shop a recycled version of the stall from Caroline Flack's Charleston in 2014? 10/10 for hitting the Piñata at the end of the number.

Judge Julie says - 5

Daisy & Alijaz - Waltz

My second favourite frock of the weekend. As a tall girl Daisy had great movement across the floor and as Craig would say a "great length of bone". She had a great frame and did wonderful pivots but I felt the routine didn't have a wow moment. Maybe that's the way they wanted to pitch it, understated and natural. Great potential when in the arms of Alijaz but think it could be interesting for her dancing Latin.

Judge Julie says - 8

Danny & Oti - Cha Cha Cha

Danny is the "looker" of the series and what an impression he made. Confident and in control of his moves and it was great to see lovely Oti dancing and choreographing a routine for someone with huge potential. A very difficult routine and in my opinion the best male opening CCC we have seen on the show, although he still didn't beat Jason Donovan's score of 32 for his opening CCC in Series 9 in 2011.

Judge Julie says - 8

Tameka & Gorka - Paso Doble

I won't hide the fact that I LOVE Tameka and she is my favourite female on the show. I found it rather random that she had a Paso on Week 1 and I checked my "almost a Strictly Superfan" archives to find that as suspected a Paso has never been danced in Week 1 before, Week 3 has been the earliest it's been danced. Full of drama and a lot of skirt wafting, Tameka was in control. Can't wait to see her Charleston next week
VIVA TAMEKA!

Judge Julie says - 7

Anastacia & Brendan - Cha Cha Cha

Overall I felt she did a good performance but I felt this dance was overmarked by the judges. She had very little hip action and no pressure on the floor but I loved her box splits and attitude throughout the dance. I think Brendan has met his match here

Judge Julie says - 7

Ed & Katya - Waltz

I was expecting this to be carnage but Ed delivered a nice little controlled routine and I spotted some heel leads in there. Granted it was flat footed with zero rise and fall but Katya choreographed a lovely basic routine for him that he was mostly able to execute.

Judge Julie says - 5

Claudia & AJ - Cha Cha Cha

The baby of the group, these guys look like they are dancing in the school production. Too many tricks for my liking but I can see why AJ included them in her routine. Good rhythm and musicality which you would expect but a little skippy in places. Will be interesting seeing her dance ballroom.

Judge Julie says - 7

Will & Karen - Tango

I wholeheartedly admit that I have wanted Mr Young to be a contestant on this show for the past 8 years so I have been so giddy for this series primarily because of this. This was a proper Tango with plenty of attack and Will sold the dance. I loved the attitude and I spotted some great footwork once I had stopped looking at his length of trouser and bright red socks. Bravo Mr Young, can't wait to see your Latin

Judge Julie says - 7

So that wraps up a great start to the show and the countdown to Christmas is now well on the way.

DRESS OF THE WEEK - Naga's peppermint number
PROP OF THE WEEK - Melvin's Piñata 
SONG OF THE WEEK - Get Ready - Greg & Natalie's Jive 

1 comment:

  1. Fabulous blog Jules - I am LOVING this! Shaun also couldn't see the Tango behind Will's short trousers - what was he thinking?!?!? Can't wait for Week 2!!! Keep this up! And you're always our Super Fan winner!

    ReplyDelete