Saturday 1 October 2016

Class of 2016 - Week 2

So the eagerly anticipated Week 2 is upon us and after a full week of It Takes Two I was looking forward to see tonight's dances. One thing that strikes me this year is that there is no real "duffer" in the pack, with no one scoring under 20 last week. I must consult my archives to see if that's a record!

Ore & Joanne - Cha Cha Cha

As soon as I heard the word fireman there just had to be a cheesy VT in the fire station, which I have to say I fast forwarded through as I was on catch up. This was fast and well executed but he needed much more in the hip department. I think Ore excels at "selling" the routine into the camera and knows how to perform, probably due to the day job! A good opener, not quite hot stuff but very warm!

Judge Julie says - 7

Claudia & AJ - Waltz

When I saw these little cuties walk down the stairs I immediately thought that Claudia's dress looked very similar to one worn by Frankie Bridge 2 years ago!
A lot of "faffing" about but it was a lovely choreographed routine with a nice heel turn from Claudia and very well controlled performance. Really appreciated how well she did with such a big difference in height which is so hard in ballroom. Loved the song, it's the 4th time it has been used for a Waltz!

Judge Julie says - 8

Will & Karen - Jive

I had been looking forward to this all week and I jigged about all the way through the routine whilst sat on the sofa. It was more of a rock and roll style to fit with the music and I felt that Will nailed the character and the style of the dance. Very disappointing that he did the wrong bit on the side by side and had to repeat it again to keep in line with Karen, but that's a pro performer for you, he didn't make it obvious and it didn't affect the quality of the routine too much. Could have had more bounce.

Judge Julie says - 7

Lesley & Anton - Cha Cha Cha

Wow Anton had the comedy trousers this week. Lesley tends to look down a lot and it was very skippy in parts however I do feel Anton's choreography has improved a lot. I am not a fan of Anton's latin but it was much better than the routine he choreographed for Katie last year and when I checked my archives I have seen that they scored 6 points more than Katie!

Judge Julie says - 6

Greg & Natalie - Tango

This routine was packed with Tango but I shouted at the TV straight away that his bottom was stuck out. He was a little stompy in parts but it had loads of content, no messing about and he had lovely pivots. He seems a really lovely guy, keen to learn and zero dance experience.

Judge Julie says - 6 (but was nearly a 7)

Tameka & Gorka - Charleston

The first Charleston of the series and it did not disappoint. Loved the whole seaside theme and Tamekas outfit was perfect. She owned this dance and kept up perfectly with the exception of the dodgy going through Gorka's legs! I loved it!
Comment of the night has to be Claudia asking Tameka "how she fits everything in". Presume she was asking about Tameka's time management but couldn't help laugh that she asked her this as Tameka was adjusting her bosom in her frock!

Judge Julie says - 8

Laura & Giovanni - Waltz

For me Laura is a very reliable dancer. You can rely on her to do a solid routine but she doesn't blow me away. Great technique with a nice double reverse spin. Too much romance and mushy stuff in the middle but I suppose it was part of the story telling. 

Judge Julie says - 8

Melvin & Janette - Tango

How cute did Melvin look in his little tango suit? He has a lovely smiley faec and he makes me smile but his routine was all a bit placed and a little bit skippy. I think he could be in real danger of leaving early on.

Judge Julie says - 6

Louise & Kevin - Viennese Waltz

Lovely balletic movement at the beginning with gorgeous arm-ography. Lovely flow to the routine and very well executed. Louise's frame dropped a little towards the end of the routine but this could have been fatigue related. Very consistent in both ballroom and latin a contender for the final

Judge Julie says - 8 

Anastacia & Brendan - Salsa

What a shame about her injury and I admire her for coping with a change in choreography so late in the day. It felt a little cumbersome at the beginning and was Brendan wearing a jacket to match Anton's trousers??? I actually laughed out loud at the end of the routine when Anastacia went to strike her air guitar pose and then realised it looked liked she was scratching her "lady area" and promptly moved her hands up! Classic!

Judge Julie says - 6

Ed & Katya - Charleston

So everyone (including myself) thought that Ed would be a complete duffer but I have to say he did so much better than a lot of the british public expected! I think it was the hipster style jeans that transformed him this week, what a difference. Great facial expressions too, well done Ed!

Judge Julie says - 6

Naga & Pasha - Cha Cha Cha

Wow what a difference Naga's wig made, she looked the bomb tonight! Unfortunately her routine was very pedestrian and her technique was lacking. No hips or pressure on the floor. Lovely lady but I fear she is another contender to leave early on.

Judge Julie says - 5

Judge Rinder & Oksana - American Smooth

I loved the theme of this and think that him playing the prom geek camouflaged his facial expressions and almost justified them this week. The lifts were amazing and I loved the Piggy Back lift at the beginning, very ambitious. Quite flat footed but he has natural talent.

Judge Julie says - 7

Daisy & Alijaz - Cha Cha Cha

I must admit I was worried about how Daisy would control those long limbs on a Cha Cha Cha as they are very exposed. She did a solid routine but again I wasn't wow-ed by it, technique was OK. Lucky lady on the front row who got a milkshake and a kiss from the lovely Alijaz! 

Judge Julie says - 7

Danny & Oti - Viennese Waltz

Ding Dong! What a great routine and story line which I totally bought into. Danny reminds me of a younger Adam Garcia and he ticked lots of boxes tonight. Nice frame and very confident in his performance. These two should go all the way

Judge Julie says - 8 (but was tempted to give 9)

And there goes my little opinions on tonights show.
Who will leave the ballroom tonight (or tomorrow like we are supposed to believe)

DRESS OF THE WEEK - Natalie Lowe's Emerald number
PROP OF THE WEEK - Tameka's Rubber Ring
SONG OF THE WEEK - You Light Up My Life - Claudia & AJ's Waltz

No comments:

Post a Comment