Sunday 8 October 2017

Class of 2017 - Week 3 - Movie Week

Well I have to say I just LOVED the La La Land opening number, made me smile throughout!

Simon & Karen - Quickstep

After the worst VT ever with Simon "flying" round the rehearsal room we were treated to a Toy Story themed quickstep but I didn't enjoy the speeded up version of "You've Got a Friend in me". My 14 year old son said "That was awful, it was all running about and no technique!" Thanks Evan! Simon is very light on his feet but there was no drive throughout the dance. It didn't take me to infinity and beyond!

Judge Julie says - 6

Ruth & Anton - Rumba

First Rumba of the series and I felt sorry for Ruth. Not only was she setting the standard for Rumba but she has Anton whom I feel is not strong at choreographing Latin routines. Not enough pressure on the floor which resulted in a lack of hip action. Her arms need attention too as lots of opportunities for lovely arms were thrown away. She looked stunning but I think she would fare better on a slightly lower heel.

Judge Julie says - 5

Mollie & AJ - Viennese Waltz

Mollie was the sexiest Maria I have ever seen and AJ looked very cute too! I felt that there could have been more Foxtrot in this routine although the parts that were in there were very competent footwork-wise from Mollie. My favourite of their routines so far, very endearing and tender.

Judge Julie says - 8

Rev Richard & Diane - Paso Doble

Again I am slightly disturbed watching him! The leg length of his red trousers were distracting me, they were at half mast! He seems to remember the routines OK but he is awkward and out of control. Unfortunately I don't enjoy his performances. I think his time could be up, in fact I hope it is! Sorry Rev!

Judge Julie says - 4

Debbie & Giovanni - Quickstep

I didn't write anything down during their dance as I was transfixed and QS is my ultimate favourite. There was too much messing about at the beginning but it was a lovely routine, very light and some great footwork. I wasn't a fan of the side by side in the middle but I disagree with the judges pulling her up on it with the 10 second rule thing! What can't Debbie do? I am looking forward to seeing her if she gets a Cha Cha Cha as I think this could test her!

Judge Julie says - 8

Brian & Amy - American Smooth

I actually really enjoyed this! Great characterisation from the funny man. Could have been a little but more basic ballroom in there but his footwork was fairly neat. He did need to push more and drive through the dance rather than "walking" it through. I think he will escape the dance off this week.

Judge Julie says - 6 

Alijaz & Gemma - Charleston

Awww Alijaz lost an ear! He even looks handsome when he has his face painted as a bear! I was looking for swivel through the routine but there were very few swivel style steps in there. Loved the energy and the concept of the routine and it was a great contrast to last weeks lovely Waltz. Her best dance so far for me!

Judge Julie says - 8

Charlotte & Brendan - Tango

Just how much was Brendan loving being Maverick? I think the leather jacket and Aviators went to his head though and I found his "come back" at Shirley very unprofessional and awkward, he was back to the old Brendan! So back to the dance, Charlotte looked amazing AGAIN but her footwork was messy, she needed to drive more and get into her knees more. However it was better than last week!

Judge Julie says - 5

Jonnie & Oti - Paso Doble

Indiana Peacock does the Paso! I was slightly perturbed by his coloured in beard but it was an action packed routine. He tended to stick out his bottom a lot and he also needed to improve his shaping but it was a great routine and I think he is a consistent performer.

Judge Julie says - 7

Susan & Kevin - Samba

First Samba of the series for wee Susan! As much as I love Susan this was another terrible VT! Who was leading who in this routine? Little power house Susan was in total control of the routine but it did lack technique, as fun and entertaining as it was! A very hard dance for a complete beginner.

Judge Julie says - 5

Joe & Katya - Viennese Waltz

2 ballroom dances in a row for Joe. Lots of content this week, think they have taken note after last weeks wardrobe fiasco. He does lean forward a lot in hold and he reminded me of a character from the Elves and the Shoemaker with his little moustache. Much improved after last week.

Judge Julie says - 8

Aston & Janette - Cha Cha Cha

Well I couldn't take my eyes off his little blue legs and for the first time I felt that you could not tell who the pro was. With him wearing tights his legs we also very exposed and not hidden by trousers. He had great technique, pushed into the floor and had straight legs. One of the best male CCC's I think we have had this early in the comp!

Judge Julie says - 9

Alexandra & Gorka - American Smooth

Left towards the end of the programme again. I just love seeing Gorka getting more opportunity to shine and show off his choreography. A well performed dance where everything worked, music, chores, costumes and facial expressions. A fantastic all round beautiful piece of theatrical dance.

Judge Julie says - 8

Davood & Nadiya - Samba

Davood in tight white pants - no comment! His arms and hands need work and there could have been more bounce action. He has a tendency to have his mouth open all the time which is slightly distracting but is was an improvement on last week.

Judge Julie says - 7

DRESS OF THE WEEK - Ruth's Rumba dress
PROP OF THE WEEK - Alijaz honey pot
SONG OF THE WEEK - Can't stop the feeling - Aston & Janette CCC


No comments:

Post a Comment