Sunday 16 October 2016

Class of 2016 - Week 4

A little later posting from me today as I didn't watch the show live last night as I was out cavorting at a Quiz Night with some of my fellow Made in Dagenham friends. The opening of the show seemed a lot shorter this week with 2 couples departing last week and I missed seeing Will and Tameka on the stairs. 

Greg & Natalie - Salsa

Greg had been working overtime in the Shimmy Shack this week perfecting the upstairs department but the downstairs needed a little bit more attention. His steps were rather large and he was often flat footed but I do love his effort as a complete novice. I can't not mention the lifts he executed, even though Natalie seemed to struggle coming out of one of them.

Judge Julie says - 7

Laura & Giovanni - Quickstep

This routine started "backstage" and reminded me a little of how the routines on Dancing with the Stars (the US Strictly) often start as Laura and Giovanni powdered their noses. I didn't like Laura's hold and topline, it looked awkward. The routine was frenzied as the music was fast and I felt though that there wasn't enough coverage of the floor. Often overmarked by Bruno, for me it wasn't as amazing as it was marked

Judge Julie says - 7

Anastacia & Brendan - Rumba

The first Rumba of the series and I have to say the music, styling, staging and theme of it were on point, loved the photographs projected onto the floor. This wasn't as bad as I expected it to be but it wasn't good. She executed some nice lines but needed more pressure on the floor. Could be in danger this week.

Judge Julie says - 6

Claudia & AJ - Foxtrot

The first Foxtrot (or Foxy as I like to call it) of the series. Foxtrot is my nemesis, it's so hard and this routine was not helped by the horrible music choice. I am a bit of an old fashioned girl when it comes to Foxtrot music. Lovely footwork from Claudia, including a nice heel turn and she travelled very well to say she is so short. The song choice spoilt this for me.

Judge Julie says - 8

Ed & Katya - Paso Doble

A terrible VT to go with a terrible dance that was riddled with mistakes throughout. I like Ed and I like his enthusiasm but this was his worst performance of the series. Very camp and out of control.

Judge Julie says - 4

Naga & Pasha - Charleston 

Not sure I am a fan of the blue wig but have to say Naga at least had some personality in this dance and it was her best dance. Pasha has a reputation for choreographing a good Charleston and this was stronger than her other performances. I especially like the work with the trident. Her best dance but she could be in the bottom two this week.

Judge Julie says - 6

Louise & Kevin - Foxtrot

This song threw me as it was last used as a Cha Cha Cha by Lisa Snowdon back in series 6, one of the highest scoring CCC's I believe and it's always strange to see the same song used for a different dance. I loved the side by side rondes going backwards and Louise always appears confident and polished as a performer. I actually thought her footwork could have been a lot better and Claudia out did her on the technique, but this was a better overall routine because of a better theme/song.

Judge Julie says - 8

Danny & Oti - Quickstep

This is my favourite ballroom dance and Danny was just a total dreamboat. He had swing and sway and was leading Oti around the floor. He oozed confidence and this dance, for me, was on par with Harry Judd's from Series 9, which is probably my all time fave QS. You could not tell who the pro was in this routine.

Judge Julie says - tempted to go 10 but it's only Week 4 so 9

Daisy & Alijaz - Rumba

I love this song but felt it was a little too fast and the circle of lights was putting me off a bit. She had nice opening outs but I felt it was a little regimented however, I am in awe of her long limbs and how she keeps them under control. I very much enjoyed watching Alijaz and his hips in this routine though!!

Judge Julie says - 7

Judge Rinder & Oksana - Viennese Waltz

He is light on his feet and he can dance. He needs more confidence in himself. It was a little bit skippy and he tripped over his own feet at one point. I want to see him do a serious routine now though with a serious theme.

Judge Julie says - 7

Lesley & Anton - Charleston

I LOVE LESLEY. I didn't want to love Lesley at the start of the show but I cannot help myself. She looked amazing and had the time of her life out there. She did look at the floor a heck of a lot but executed every step. Anton's choreography has improved tenfold this year and I am wondering if he has had some assistance? I hope I can dance like that at 51 let alone 71!

Judge Julie says - 8

Ore & Joanne - Jive

Jive is a favourite of mine and this one had high expectations as the last dance of the show often does. Ore knows how to work the cameras and the cheeky raised eyebrow down the camera are perfected in this routine. It was sharp and seamless and I loved the guitar move. Amazing attack throughout the dance and his best dance by far. I do recall that on week 1 I said he was my contender for the final and this dance proved that to me.

Judge Julie says - like Danny I was tempted to go 10 but I will say 9

And so I survived the first week of Strictly without Mr Young.

DRESS OF THE WEEK - Oti's gorgeous Quickstep dress
PROP OF THE WEEK - AJ's iPhone which he managed to remember to take off the top of the lockers once he had taken his selfie at the beginning of the routine
SONG OF THE WEEK - The way we were - Anastacia and Brendan Rumba

No comments:

Post a Comment